Date: January 24, 2016
Bible Text: | Pastor Stephan Bauer
John 1:35-51 – “You are the Son of God”
The New Beginning Series, Week 3
Sun. Jan. 24th 2016 - Pastor Stephan
I. Jesus Invites All to Come to Him and Experience Him for Themselves (John 1:35-42).
A. All true messengers of the gospel direct people to follow Jesus (vs. 35-37).
B. The truest, deepest desires of all people can only be met in Jesus Christ (vs. 38).
C. Jesus calls us to come into personal relationship with Him directly (vs. 39a).
D. Jesus summons us to learn from Him and experience Him ourselves (vs. 39b).
E. The awakened soul desires to know Christ and then to make Him known (vs. 40-42).
II. There is the Response, the Desire, and the Rewards of Faith in Jesus (vs. 43-51).
A. Faith brings forth the response to follow Jesus (vs. 43).
B. Faith brings forth the desire to call others to follow Jesus (vs. 44-46).
C. Faith brings forth the glorious reward of seeing Jesus for who He really is (vs. 47-51).
Questions for Study and Reflection
1. Recall a time when you had the opportunity to introduce two people to each other, and they became best of friends. How did it make you feel? What was the result for you and for the other two individuals?
2. Read John 1:35-51. Why did John’s disciples leave him to follow Jesus? How do you think John felt about that?
3. What is your response to Jesus’ question in vs. 38, “What do you want?”
4. Why do John’s disciples ask Jesus where He is staying? What is the implication of the response Jesus gives them?
5. Place yourself in the situation of the two disciples (vs. 39). What do you think the disciples heard, saw and experienced?
6. Do you agree with IE above? Why or why not?
7. What is it that caused Philip to respond to Jesus the way he does in vs 43? How do you think you would respond? Why? How are you “responding” today?
8. Why does Nathanael respond the way he does in vs. 49? What is he saying about Jesus?
9. Take time this week to reflect on the phrase: “Jesus is the Son of God.” What does that statement mean for you personally? What impact does it make upon your life? What call does it place upon your life? Take your considerations to the Lord in prayer.