Date: March 18, 2018
Bible Text: | Pastor Stephan Bauer
John 18:28-19:16a – “Truth Condemned”
Sun. Mar. 18th 2018 – Pastor Stephan
I. Our Ability to Believe and Receive Truth will Determine our Response toward Jesus (John 18:33-37).
A. Jesus’ Kingdom is established by the power of the truth (vs. 33-36).
B. Everyone who is earnestly seeking truth will hear Jesus’ voice (vs. 37).
II. Pride Blocks many People from Considering the Truth of Jesus (John 18:28-32).
III. Cynicism and the Denial of Absolute Truth Hinder many from Hearing Truth (John 18:38-40).
IV. Indifference and Laziness Prevent People from Seeking the Truth (John 19:1-6).
V. A Lust for Power and Self-Determination Sinfully Blinds People to the Truth (John 19:7-11).
VI. Expediency Inhibits People from Hearing the Truth (John 19:12-16a).
Questions for Study and Reflection
1. Think about a time when someone told you something was true but you were initially unable to accept it because you had a previous (mis-)understanding that prevented you from believing it. What was it? How did that truth eventually become “real” to you?
2. Read John 18:28-19:16a. Who are the main characters? What is their understanding of the truth of what is happening in this section of text?
3. Do you agree with point I above? Why or why not? In what ways are truth or adherence to an absolute truth being undermined in our society today? How does that impact how people perceive Jesus?
4. Do you agree with point II above? Why or why not? How did the Jewish leaders’ pride prevent them from realizing who Jesus truly was? Can you give an example of this in your own life or someone you know?
5. Do you agree with point III above? Why or why not? How did the Pilate’s cynicism perhaps prevent him from pressing the question to Jesus, “What is truth?” Can you give an example of this from someone you know?
6. Do you agree with point IV above? Why or why not? Where can this be seen in the text today and in modern western society?
7. Do you agree with point V above? How did this happen in the lives of the Jewish leaders? How can it happen to people today?
8. Do you agree with point VI above? Why or why not? How did this play a factor in Pilate condemning Jesus? Can you give a current day example of this?
9. Take time this week to ask the Lord how open you are to truth, specifically the truth about Jesus. What impact does His lordship have upon your life? What difference does knowing the truth about Jesus make in how you live each day? Take time to pray.