Date: February 25, 2018
Bible Text: | Pastor Stephan Bauer
John 17:6-19 – “Sanctified by Truth”
Sun. Feb. 25th 2018 – Pastor Stephan
I. Jesus is the Perfect Revelation of God and the Only Means of Salvation (John 17:6-8).
A. Jesus is the perfect manifestation of the true nature of God and His salvation (vs. 6).
B. Disciples of Jesus know Him to be One Living Word for their salvation (vs. 7-8).
II. Receiving the Truth of God’s Word Enables People to be Sanctified unto God (John 17:9-19).
A. Jesus is glorified when people turn from sinfulness and become His followers (vs. 9-10).
B. Through the Name Jesus, meaning “Yahweh is salvation,” we are saved into relationship with God (vs. 11-12).
C. The believers’ salvation brings a joy that transcends temporal hardships (vs. 13-16).
D. Believers are sanctified by the truth of God’s Word as they walk in the power of His Spirit (vs. 17-19).
2. To separate, set apart or appoint to a holy, sacred or religious use.
5. To cleanse from corruption; to purify from sin; to make holy by detaching the affections from the world and its defilements, and exalting them to a supreme love to God.
Questions for Study and Reflection
1. Think of a time when you realized that something you thought was real or genuine was actually fake or a copy. What was it? How did you react?
2. Read John 17:6-19. Who is Jesus praying for?
3. How was Jesus gloried through the disciples (vs. 6-8)? What is the significance of the Name of Jesus Christ?
4. What are the main points of His intercessory prayer requests in vs. 9-19? How does the truth of God’s word sanctify Jesus’ disciples?
5. Take time this week to complete the activity on the reverse side of the page. As Jesus continually prays for us we have the privilege of approaching our Heavenly Father on behalf of others around us.