Date: May 22, 2016
Bible Text: | Pastor Stephan Bauer
John 5:1-15 – “Law and Grace”
Healing and Living in the Kingdom of God, Week 2
Sun. May 22nd 2016 - Pastor Stephan
I. Jesus Offers Healing and Life One Person at a Time (John 5:1-9a).
A. God is the Ultimate Cause of all healing and well-being (vs. 1-4).
B. God invites us to minister as Jesus did: one person at a time (vs. 5-6).
C. God’s grace is sufficient even for those whose life is a “living death” (vs. 7-9a).
II. We can be Blinded to God’s Grace because of Legalism (John 5:9b-12).
III. Our Response to Jesus Determines Our Eternal Destiny (John 5:13-15).
Questions for Study and Reflection
1. Do you ever feel overwhelmed by some of the world’s problems? Which one(s) in particular come to mind? What do you think needs to be done? How much money do you believe would it take to “fix” the problem?
2. Read John 5:1-15. From this and other text you are aware of, what kind of problems are affecting Jerusalem at this point in its history? Why does Jesus apparently not address them, but goes to the pool of Bethesda?
3. Why does Jesus ask the man if he wants to be well (vs. 6)? Why does the man respond the way he does (vs. 7)?
4. Why does Jesus tell the man to pick up his mat and walk (vs. 8)? What does the man’s healing point to (see vss. 3-4)?
5. Why do the Jews respond as they do in vs. 10? Why doesn’t the man know who healed him (vs. 13)? Why does Jesus say what he does in vs. 14?
6. This week, take time to consider all that God has done for you, and how He met you uniquely and individually. What can be done about the situation you identified in Q.1 above, especially if you consider starting with one person at a time? When you do whatever it is you decide to do, make sure you tell them the reason why you are doing what you’re doing!