Date: February 11, 2018
Bible Text: | Pastor Stephan Bauer
Phil. 4:8-9 – “Growing in Excellence”
Sun. Feb. 11th 2018 – Pastor Stephan
I. It is the Duty of Christians to Desire, Aim At, and Grow in Excellence in all Things (Phil. 4:8).
A. Excellence is about being and doing the best one can with whatever one has (vs. 8).
B. The Scripture’s admonition “to be holy/perfect” is not the call to “perfectionism” (Matt. 5:48; 1 Pet. 1:15-16).
C. The call to excellence is about growth toward Christlikeness, that is, perfection in grace and holiness (Heb. 12:14; Phil. 1:6).
II. Christians are Called to Honour their Spiritual Leaders (Phil. 4:9).
Questions for Study and Reflection
1. Recall a time when you were encouraged to excel at a particular assignment. What was it? How did you make out? How did it make you feel afterward?
2. Read Phil. 4:8-9. Explain these two verses in your own words.
3. Do you agree with point I above? Why or why not? How would you define “excellence”? Can you give everyday examples of this?
4. Read Matt. 5:48 and 1 Pet. 1:15-16. How do you explain these verses? Do you agree with point IB? Why or why not? What is the difference between excellence and perfectionism?
5. Can you give a personal example from the workplace of a leader that exhibits the quality of excellence? Explain. What makes a person an honourable spiritual leader? Why does Paul say what he does in Phil. 4:9? How can he say this when he also realized that he fell far short of the mark of Christ (read Phil. 3:12-16)?
6. Reflect on your journey of spiritual excellence in the Lord. How are you doing? What area(s) require some growth? How has the Lord recently encouraged you to continue to press on towards the goal?