Date: February 4, 2018
Bible Text: | Pastor Stephan Bauer
Matt. 5:13-16 - – “Growing in Deed”
Sun. Feb. 4th 2018 – Pastor Stephan
I. As Believers Live out their Calling we Advance the Mission of God (Matt. 5:13-15)
A. Like salt, Christians are to penetrate the culture to bring healing and cleansing (vs. 13).
B. Like light, Christians should embody safety and security to a darkened world (vs. 14-15).
II. Believers Glorify God as they Grow in Deeds and Ministry (Matt 5:16).
Questions for Study and Reflection
1. Describe a time when you were lost in physical darkness and unable to find the way when you were suddenly found by someone who had a light. What did you feel like before being found? What did it feel like once you were found?
2. Read Matt. 5:1-16. Quickly glance over the Beatitudes which describe how Jesus’ disciples are to be in the world. In considering vs. 13-15, what was Jesus talking about?
3. How are Christian lives supposed to be like salt? How are they supposed to be like light? Can you give examples of these from your own or another person’s life?
4. How does letting your light shine bring glory to God (vs. 16)? What kind of activities, words or deeds are being spoken of here? What would you say to someone who feels that their light is not particularly strong and bright?
5. Reflect on how you are personally doing in terms of the Growing in Deed, using and stewarding your time, talents and treasure to bring glory to God. Who do you know who needs to hear about the gospel of Jesus? What difference would it make in their lives? How are you going to use your resources to make a difference in their life/lives for Jesus this week?