Date: December 17, 2017
Bible Text: | Pastor Stephan Bauer
John 15:11 - “Everlasting Joy in Christ”
Sun. Dec. 17th 2017 - Pastor Stephan
Joy – The passion or emotion excited by the acquisition or expectation of good
I. The Revelation of God in and through Jesus is the Foundation of Eternal Joy (John 15:11a).
II. The Joy Jesus Experienced was both in His Father and with His Followers (John 15:11b).
A. The joy Jesus experienced was sourced in His relationship with His Heavenly Father (Matt. 3:17).
B. Jesus rejoiced in His communion with the disciples and their love and obedience to Him (Psa. 147:10-11).
III. Everlasting Joy comes from Knowing Christ and is Independent of Life’s Circumstances (John 15:11c).
A. To know Christ and be known by Him is the fountain of all true and everlasting joy (Hab. 3:17-18).
B. To know that God is for us, working within us and transforming us into Christ’s likeness is a source of great joy (1 Pet. 1:8-9).
C. Our joy in God enables us to enjoy all things for His glory and our good (Psa. 42:5).
IV. Pursuing Our Relationship with God Increases Our Inheritance of Joy in Jesus.
Questions for Study and Reflection
1. What earthly events make you feel joy? How long do these last? What might prevent these things from causes you joy?
2. Read John 15:1-17. Express vs. 11 in your own words. What things has Jesus been sharing with the disciples?
3. Look up the verses associated with point II and the subpoints. Do you agree with these? Why or why not? Can you give other examples from Scripture?
4. Look up the verses associated with point III and the subpoints. Do you agree with these? Why or why not? Can you give examples of these from your own life?
5. Take time to reflect point IV. Do you know the joy of the Lord? Who do you know that needs to know the source of your joy? Tell them this week!