Date: March 25, 2018
Bible Text: |
John 19:16b-42 – “Crucified”
Sun. Mar. 25th 2018 – Pastor Stephan
I. The Crucifixion of Jesus Uniquely Identifies Him as the Messianic King of the Israel (John 19:16b-22).
A. The shame and humiliation of Jesus’ suffering sets the pattern for every believers’ attitude (vs. 16b-18; Phil. 2:5-8).
B. John’s gospel reveals Jesus’ Messianic identity as Israel’s only King (vs. 19-22).
II. The Suffering of the Sinless Son for Undeserving Sinners is the Greatest Demonstration of God’s Glorious Grace (John 19:23-30).
A. Jesus’ suffering was foreordained before time and foretold by the OT prophets (vs. 24, 30, 36, 37; Rev. 13:8; 1 Pet. 18-20).
B. Jesus’ suffering and death purchased shalom and eternal life for sinful humanity (vs. 23-30; 2 Cor. 5:21; 1 Pet. 2:24).
III. Our Identity as Believers must be Found Completely in the Crucified Saviour (John 19:31-42).
A. The believer’s identity must be in the crucified and buried Christ, the Passover Lamb (vs. 31-37; Rom. 6:1-14; Gal. 6:14).
B. All sin, offence, guilt, shame, condemnation, etc. must be buried with Christ or we will bear them for ourselves (vs. 38-42; Phil 3:10-11).
Questions for Study and Reflection
1. Think about a time when you or someone else took a shortcut or cut corners on a project or assignment to disastrous results. What was it? What did you learn as a result of it?
2. Read John 19:16b-42. What parts of John’s gospel are unique to his account? What is the importance of these?
3. Go through the three sections of text one after the other. Reflect upon each point in the outline above. Read the associated Scripture. Discuss these Scripture alongside the points.
4. Do you believe it is important to identify with the suffering, humiliation and death of Jesus? Why or why not? How can we more fully identity with Him?
5. Take time this week to review with the Lord what if any of the things in point IIIB you are holding on to. How are these evident in your life? Why do you need to do with these? What are you going to do today to more fully identify with Jesus in his crucifixion?