Date: June 12, 2016
Bible Text: | Pastor Stephan Bauer
John 5:31-47 – “Come to Me and Live”
Healing and Living in the Kingdom of God, Conclusion
Sun. June 12th 2016 - Pastor Stephan
I. Life’s Most Important Question is, “What do you do with Jesus Christ?” (John 5:31-40).
A. Jesus’ life illustrates that He is neither liar nor lunatic, but Lord of all (vs. 31).
B. John the Baptist testified to the divinity of Christ (vs. 33-35).
C. The miracles of Jesus demonstrate that He is God in the flesh (vs. 36).
D. God the Father and all Scripture testified to the Person of Jesus Christ (vs. 32, 37-40).
II. Hard Hearts, Pride and Disbelief Prevent us from Coming to Jesus (John 5:41-47).
A. A hardened heart can dull a person’s ability to perceive and understand (vs. 41-42).
B. Pride positions a person in complete opposition to God (vs. 43-44).
C. Disbelief will keep us from coming to eternal life in Christ (vs. 45-47).
Questions for Study and Reflection
1. What questions in life do people you know usually struggle with? In your opinion what are the “big questions” in life? What about the question in point I? How do you answer this question? What is at stake for ourselves depending upon our answer to the question?
2. Read John 5:31-47. What is Jesus speaking of in these verses? Why is He doing this? What does Jesus point to in vss. 31-40 to show that He is who He claims to be?
3. What is Jesus saying in vs. 39-40? In your words, what is the problem?
4. Review the points under II above. Do you agree with each? Why or why not? Can you give examples of each? How does one ensure they do not yield to these in their search for truth?
5. This week take time to reflect on what your personal testimony is to others about Jesus. Based upon this, would people come to Jesus because of you?